6: The Divided States of America
Competence aims in focus:
The aims of the studies are to enable students to:
- elaborate on and discuss how key historical events and processes have affected the development of American society
- elaborate on and discuss questions related to social and economic conditions in the United States
- elaborate on and discuss current debates in the United States
- elaborate on and discuss linguistically demanding texts with a social perspective
- use information based on figures and statistics as a basis for communicating on social issues
- present a major in-depth project with a topic from Social Studies English and assess the process
How "Obamacare" Became a Symbol of America's Divide
"Obamacare" has expanded health insurance for millions - but its passage also contributed to years of political polarization. (Frontline PBS)
Inside the mind of white America
The concept of there being "two Americas" is almost as old as the nation itself.
Articles and Resources
Our Divided America (Psychology Today)(psychologytoday.
Divided America (AP)(ap.
Fourth of July: America the beautiful, divided (cartoon, Seattle Times)(seattletimes.